“Button batteries” as they’ve been coined are present in many devices ranging from remote controls to musical greeting cards. Despite their size, they can actually be devastating if swallowed. A study shows that young children and older adults are accidently swallowing button batteries more often every year. Since 1985, the number of incidents has increased sevenfold. These batteries are usually 20mm in diameter and may pass through the intestine. In most cases, though, they are caught in the throat and release hydroxide which causes chemical burns.
According to the Consumer Product Safety Commission, children younger than four and seniors are the most susceptible. Children more often swallow batteries in toys and games, while seniors may mistake their hearing aid battery for a pill. Many cases of battery-swallowing often go undiagnosed. “These incidents are preventable and CPSC is working to get ahead of this emerging hazard quickly,” said CPSC Chairman Inez Tanenbaum. “Our consumer awareness efforts and outreach to the electronics industry are under way.”
As a Harrisburg car accident lawyer, I hope you follow the CPSC’s advice to not allow children to play with button batteries, and if a battery is ingested call the National Battery Ingestion Hotline at (202) 625-3333. If you require legal representation, discuss your case with a personal injury lawyer Harrisburg.