My Doctor Said My Injuries Might Be Unrelated to Defective Drugs. Should I Still File?

There's one thing to clarify before we answer this question.

"Should I file?" is a question that you need to answer with your lawyer. Filing a claim against a pharmaceutical company is a complex process, and we do not recommend trying it on your own. Pharmaceutical companies have their own army of lawyers to protect them from people like you, so it only makes sense to get a lawyer of your own before heading into a fight.

If you're not even sure if it would be worth filing a claim, Handler, Henning & Rosenberg LLC offers free case consultations to help people understand their options and make the best decision for themselves. Should you want to hire us to handle your case, we charge no upfront fees; the only time we take a fee is if we win your case. Give us a call if you're curious about your legal options.

Now that we've settled that, let's get into why your doctor may not be the best choice to determine pharmaceutical fault.

The Elmiron Problem

Elmiron by Johnson & Johnson is one of the multiple drugs on the market today that treat interstitial cystitis, or "painful bladder syndrome." It's the only one that's been linked by four peer-reviewed medical journals to maculopathy, or the degeneration of the retina. One of the problems with Elmiron, however, is that maculopathy is also a natural effect of aging, which means there might be elderly patients taking Elmiron who don't realize that their vision loss is caused by the medication. When a harmful drug's impact resembles or co-occurs with an existing symptom or condition, it might go unnoticed by your doctor.

It's also important to remember that doctors aren't immune to being duped by pharmaceutical companies. Risperdal (another drug from Johnson & Johnson) came under fire when it was publicized that the company aggressively marketed Risperdal to doctors so they would prescribe it to children. At the same time, the company hid evidence that Risperdal was causing developing boys to grow female breasts. Both doctors and parents were deceived.

Whether your doctor is unaware of a defective drug or the drug's harmful effects are being hidden by the manufacturing company, it's important to get a second opinion—particularly from a practitioner who is familiar with how a harmful drug affects different patients.

The Next Step for Victims of Harmful Drugs

If you've taken a drug that's been reported for causing harmful side effects, your primary care doctor may not have all the answers. You may need a specialist to understand what's happening to you and why. Speaking with an attorney that handles defective drug claims is the fastest way to get connected with a medical specialist who is familiar with the effects of harmful prescriptions.

As with all things, trust your doctor while verifying with a second opinion.

If you want to know if your health has been compromised by a defective drug, talk to HHR today in a free consultation. Call (888) 498-3023 to get answers.


Related Posts