In what appears to be a tragic accident, 55-year old Ronald Crissey of Jonestown died after a motorcycle crash on Interstate 81 last month. Crissey was riding on Interstate 81 near Lower Paxton Township when he lost control of his motorcycle after a blanket he had strapped to the back of his motorcycle become stuck in the wheel. The wheel locked up throwing Crissey from the motorcycle. He landed in the right lane of the interstate. According to eyewitnesses, Crissey was unresponsive when several commercial trucks ran over him and his motorcycle. None of the trucks stopped at the scene of the accident. The state police are searching for the drivers of the commercial trucks.
What is Pennsylvania's Kevin's Law?
In an unrelated event, the father who was responsible for pushing through litigation regarding hit and run drivers was arrested on charges of driving under the influence. Kevin's Law, named after Dr. Stephen Miller's son, increased the punishment for a hit and run conviction involving a fatality to a minimum of three years. Dr. Stephen Miller lobbied for the la after his son was killed by a hit and run driver. Witnesses said the driver had been drinking at the time of the accident.
What Should I Do If I Am Injured in a Hit and Run Accident in Pennsylvania?
If you are in a wreck caused by another driver and that driver does not stop, take the following steps to protect your right to file a claim against the other driver (if police find him) and/or your own insurance company (as an uninsured claim).
- Call 911 - Immediately call the police to report the accident and request emergency medical assistance, if needed.
- Make Notes - Use the note feature on your cell phone, send yourself an email, or make written notes if you have pen and paper while the facts are fresh on your mind. Try to remember everything you can about the other vehicle including the make, model, and color of the vehicle. Making notes while you are at the accident scene may help you remember the incident more clearly.
- Ask for Eyewitness Contact Information - If there are any eyewitnesses to the hit and run accident, ask for their name and contact information. Your personal injury attorney will need to obtain a statement as soon as possible while the details are still fresh.
- Take Pictures - If possible, take pictures with your cell phone or ask someone to take pictures for you.
- Seek Medical Attention - If you did not go to the hospital in an ambulance, see your doctor as soon as possible after the accident. You could have a serious injury that you are not aware of yet. You also need to document your injuries for your accident claim.
- Call Our Office - As soon as possible, contact our office for a free consultation with a hit and run accident attorney. Our attorneys understand the various ways you may be able to collect compensation for your injuries. The sooner you contact our office the more we can help you with a hit and run accident claim.
Trusted Harrisburg Personal Injury Attorneys
Our experience, skills, and resources ensure our clients that they are receiving exception legal representation. If you have been injured in a hit and run accident, call our office no for a free case evaluation. You may have option to receive compensation for your injuries but we must act quickly. Call Handler, Henning & Rosenberg LLP for a free consultation.