Tens of Millions Recovered for Injury Victims Since 1922
If your baby was harmed or injured after a difficult birth, your hospital should be held responsible for your child's lifelong needs—which often come with costs in the six- or seven-figure range. The average lifetime cost of a birth injury is $941,000 to $3 million. The CDC estimates that the average lifetime cost of raising a child with cerebral palsy is $1 million; most families simply can't afford to provide for a child with a birth injury.
Having a child with a permanent disability due to a birth injury leaves parents with serious questions. How do they pay for special education resources? How do they afford adding accommodations to their home, or hiring around-the-clock caretakers? Most importantly, how would their child survive if something happened to his/her parents? Our Harrisburg birth injury lawyers can answer those questions for you.
Since 1922, Handler, Henning & Rosenberg LLC has stood up for the injured and harmed. Our team of investigators, litigators, and medical experts want to give your child the best possible future. Call (888) 498-3023 to learn how.
Poor Hospital Care Is the Leading Cause of Birth Injury
Has your baby been diagnosed with Cerebral palsy, Erb’s palsy, or brain damage that occurred during the pregnancy or birth? You're not alone. Cerebral palsy is the most common childhood mobility disorder throughout the United States. General brain damage from asphyxia during delivery might be as common as 1 in 100 births, according to the American Journal of Neuroradiology.
The BMJ reports that medical mistakes are the 3rd-leading cause of death.
The fact is, your doctors and nurses know that they might have been able to prevent your baby's harm. They will not admit mistakes made during your delivery because they're afraid of being held responsible for their poor decisions. Hospitals will never take responsibility for your child's condition unless they're forced to under oath.
Our team is experienced in investigating and litigating birth injury cases. We have the experience you need to navigate through this difficult and complicated process.
As lawyers, our job is to make sure your child has everything they need for the rest of their life. Our job is to make sure that the people who sentenced your child to a lifetime of struggle and risk are held accountable for it. Most importantly, our job is to help you understand what you can do to help your baby live a long, fulfilling life.
Examples of Birth Injury Cases We Can Handle
In a birth injury case, damages may be recovered for your child if the involved medical professionals failed to meet the standard of care, causing your baby injury.
Our Pennsylvania birth injury attorneys can handle a wide range of cases, such as those involving:
- Cerebral Palsy – This diagnosis involves a complex brain injury caused by lack of oxygen to the brain or by infection. This injury can cause cognitive deficits, seizures, spasticity in the arms or legs, inability to eat and, in very severe cases, inability to breathe without the assistance of a ventilator. The causes of cerebral palsy are many and varied. A significant number of babies have cerebral palsy because of mistakes during prenatal office visits and/or during the labor and delivery process.
- Brachial Plexus Palsy – The nerves of a baby’s arm run from the neck, under the shoulder, through the armpit and down the arm. These nerves can be torn during delivery such that the child is left with a permanent disability in movement and growth of the arm, hand or shoulder. This is a brachial plexus injury ("Erb’s Palsy") and is often caused by negligence during childbirth.
- Other Birth-Related Injuries – During childbirth, instruments which are used to assist the delivery of the baby can cause skull fractures, bleeding in the baby’s brain, spinal cord injuries or facial scarring. Additionally, certain drugs administered by the doctor or nurse during labor can cause injuries to the mother if not properly monitored and controlled (for example, rupture of the uterus; and abruption or tearing of the placenta). Sometimes, these birth injuries are caused by medical negligence.
Birth injuries require immediate and extensive care. HHR utilizes nearly a century of experience to make sure our clients' babies get everything they need for the rest of their lives.
Serving Harrisburg, Lancaster, Carlisle, Hanover, & York.
When you contact us, you get a team of seasoned legal professionals. We have helped thousands recover settlements for their injuries, losses, and pain and suffering. Tell Handler, Henning & Rosenberg LLC about your child's birth injury case. We want to give your family the best chance for a bright future, and that begins with understanding your legal options. One free phone call could give you the answers you're looking for.
Call (888) 498-3023 to set up a free consultation with our caring team.
- After 9 Years, Superior Court Grants $3 Million for Birth Injury
- Birth Injury: Did Your Doctor Fail To Perform Hypothermia Therapy?
- Was Hypothermia Therapy Performed on Your Baby?
- What Types of Medical Malpractice Cases are Filed in Pennsylvania?
- How Long Do I Have to File a Medical Malpractice Lawsuit in Pennsylvania?