How to Get a Car Accident Police Report in Pennsylvania

After a car accident, the last thing a person might want to do is focus on paperwork. However, obtaining a copy of a car accident police report can help a person receive the compensation they need from their insurer. It can also help to recover losses from the person who caused their accident.

Pennsylvania’s No-Fault Laws & Police Reports

Pennsylvania is a no-fault insurance state. This means that claimants receive compensation from their insurer instead of from the insurance of the other party. However, a person can opt-out of no-fault insurance by purchasing full tort coverage instead of limited tort coverage. Holders of either kind of policy should obtain the police report for their accident. Those with limited tort insurance need a police report to provide crucial details about their accident so they can receive a fair amount of compensation from their policy. If a person has full tort coverage, they need a police accident report for their insurance coverage and for pursuing the other party for compensation.

When to File a Police Report for a Pennsylvania Car Accident

The state of Pennsylvania requires drivers to report any car accident they're involved in. Those involved with a crash must always call the police if injury or death happened to anyone involved. The law requires a police investigation when vehicles are damaged to the extent that they are unable to operate.

If the police did not respond to the scene of an accident, a driver has five days to file a report of their own. While this may seem like an inconvenience, filing a report creates an official, legal record of your accident. If medical complications or other damages from the accident start later, you will have an early and official record of the accident. Never agree to the other driver’s request to work out your accident without the involvement of the police.

Obtaining the Car Accident Police Report

If you did not report your accident, you should obtain a copy of the police report for it. First, drivers must fill out form SP7-0015. This form requires details about your accident, such as the date, time, and where it occurred. Additionally, drivers will need to provide an incident number which should have been provided to them by the responding officer for their accident. Obtaining a copy of a police accident report costs $22. A check should be mailed along to the Pennsylvania State Police office address listed on form SP7-0015.

For help with any issue regarding recovery from your accident, call the Pennsylvania car accident attorneys from Handler, Henning & Rosenberg at (888) 498-3023.

Related Posts