Every year, thousands of people are injured or killed as a result of vehicle backing accidents – and sadly, most of these victims are children. Vehicle backing accidents occur when a driver is backing out of a parking spot or driveway and they hit another person or vehicle. If you or someone you love has been injured in a vehicle backing accident, you have rights. Contact a Pennsylvania car accident attorney from Handler, Handler, Henning & Rosenberg LLC to discuss your options in a free case review. We are available to take your call 24/7.
Injured? Contact our firm 24/7 to speak with an experienced personal injury lawyer.
Common Causes of Vehicle Backing Accidents
Approximately 50 children are injured in vehicle backing car accidents every week. Of those children, 48 are treated in hospital emergency rooms. This equates to more than 13,000 injuries and 200 fatalities each year. To make matters worse, a parent or relative is the one driving in about 70% of these accidents.
So why are these accidents so common? Contributing factors often include:
- Drivers failing to realize that there is a blind spot behind their vehicle
- Drivers failing to check their surroundings before reversing their car
- Children failing to recognize the danger of a slow-moving vehicle
- Drivers rushing to back out of their driveway or a parking spot
Ways to Prevent a Vehicle Backing Accident
Vehicle backing accidents are preventable if drivers take extra precaution when reversing their vehicles. Taking that extra time to check your surroundings can prevent others from sustaining serious injuries. If you were injured in a vehicle backing accident, the team of experienced attorneys at Handler, Henning & Rosenberg LLC are ready to help you.
Here are a few ways that you can prevent a back-over car accident:
- Always walk around the vehicle before getting in the car
- Install a rearview camera, backup sensors, or additional mirrors
- Hold your child’s hand while walking through a parking lot
- Listen for warning signs by rolling down your window
- Keep your child’s toys away from the driveway or street
- Use extra caution in parking lots during peak hours
If you or your child has been injured in a vehicle backing accident, it is important to act quickly. When you contact a Pennsylvania car accident lawyer at Handler, Henning & Rosenberg LLC, you can trust that your case is in capable hands. Our firm has been representing injured victims since 1922.