What Is Uninsured & Underinsured Motorist Coverage?

What Is Uninsured & Underinsured Motorist Coverage?

You’ve just been involved in an accident, and you discover that the at-fault driver doesn’t have insurance—what do you do? Although the state of Pennsylvania law requires all drivers to have liability insurance, many motorists fail to comply. One of the best ways to protect yourself from the negligence of noninsured drivers is by getting uninsured or underinsured motorist coverage (UM/ UIM). Uninsured and underinsured coverage protects you from damages in an accident caused by an at-fault driver who doesn’t have insurance or who has less liability than necessary to cover the damages. Uninsured motorist insurance also covers hit-and-run accidents.

If you were injured by a driver who didn’t have insurance, the legal team at Handler, Henning & Rosenberg LLC can help you get the compensation you deserve.

What Is Covered With UM & UIM?

Even if the other driver has insurance, their coverage may not be enough to pay for your losses. This is where UM/UIM comes in and augments their shortfall. In Pennsylvania, UM/UIM is typically offered as part of your policy unless you expressly reject that coverage in writing – usually with a rejection form. There are two types of UIM: bodily injury and property damage. The bodily injury UIM covers injuries and the associated costs, the property damage UIM covers damage to your car or home. This means that the UIM covers hospital bills, medical expenses, and lost wages.

In most cases, UM/UIM coverage is reasonably priced and can help when you need it. Talk to your insurance agent about your UM/UIM coverage to add it if you don’t already have that coverage as a part of your policy.

Am I Still Eligible for Compensation Without UM or UIM?

Anytime a driver is injured in a car accident by the negligence or fault of another driver; compensation may be awarded to cover medical bills, property losses and pain & suffering. If you have been injured in a car accident by the negligence of another who doesn’t have insurance, you may still be eligible for compensation. Know your legal options by speaking directly to the car accident attorney at Handler, Henning & Rosenberg LLC today about your rights. Get the compensation you deserve, not the amount the insurance company is comfortable offering you. We have offices throughout Pennsylvania to provide you with the best legal advice about your car accident case.
Contact our Pennsylvania car accident attorneys today for a free consultation at (888) 498-3023!


Related Posts